This year I spent Easter in the marvellous region of Tuscany. We took the train to Pisa first, then a connection to Firenze where we stayed for 2 nights. There was a really lovely feeling about the city, touristy, but not overly so, and with some of the most beautiful buildings and churches you are ever likely to see. What sticks in my mind in particular was the evening we took a trip up the hill to the San Miniato al Monte. After seeing a monk put some recycling out, and eating some gelato, we stayed in a very tranquil atmosphere on the steps in front of the church for a couple of hours. I drew the Duomo, the girls read and we saw the sun set over the city. The whole feeling was one of utter relaxation, which carried long into the night after dinner (in which we sat outside!) and the walk back to the hostel through the hazy yellow glow of the illuminated streets. We crept quietly into the Duomo and were able to see the beginning of Easter as dusk had fallen. There were people carrying tapered candles around, whispering and tiptoeing through the crowds as the lights gradually brightened the entire Cathedral.

We also visited the Uffizi gallery, which I really enjoyed. In particular the 10 minutes I stood in front of Botticelli's 'La Primavera' - probably my favourite painting in the whole world (only challenged by Waterhouse's 'Lady of Shallot')
And Siena, what can I say? A walled city with cobblestoned pavements and a charm all of its own. We stayed at an absolutely charming hostel (though it was more of an apartment) which is run by an angel! (truly - she picked us up at the station in her little red car in the rain after a very disappointing day in Pisa which I won't go into here) When we woke up we explored some of the touristy sites and later had a very funny evening around the Piazza del Campo in a mostly deserted bar, singing Queen, and getting 45€ knocked off our drinks bill. I think it is because we were so fabulous. We sang all the way home. There was of course, so much more than this, but for now, I will just say....
VIVA ITALIA!
xxx
No comments:
Post a Comment