Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The rain in Spain...

...Stays mainly in the plain. But the rain in Torino falls mainly on the Murazzi (which is now completely submerged in murky river water again) and it is somewhat amusing to watch a man with a broom attempt to sweep the water back where it came from, only to flow right over his shoes again in the oncoming tide of trees and other miscellaneous items picked up by the river.

I always get the verbs to rain and to cry mixed up in Italian. I am not really sure why, they have a lot of the same letters, but in a way I suppose they are thematically connected.
If the sky is sad does it cry? And what about a person? Can eyes rain?

Piovere - To rain
Piangere - To cry

But really, aside from them both beginning with 'pi' and belonging to the 'ere' group of verbs, and both generally meaning falling water, why ON EARTH do I keep mixing them up!?!

A strange mist hangs over Torino today marking the beginning of my last fortnight here.



I feel like I talk about the weather a lot. It must be because I am English, but it really does affect your behaviour and mood. For instance, today I will not sit outside on the terrace playing the guitar, today I must write essays. For this weather is serious.





No comments:

Post a Comment