I think that the paternoster is a very underrated invention, no other type of lift really manages to combine such fun, danger and overall silliness into one constantly moving cyclical motion. For those inquisitive souls, this video ought to explain in a way words just can't ...
After these adventures I went to the relatively empty library and sat on the floor between the moveable book cases, safe in the knowledge that nobody would crush me between them. I left with an enormous pile of books about Paul Auster, so now all that remains is to read them, and begin to write my 5000 word essay!
***
Yesterday I went to see Toy Story 3 with Thom and James, it was utterly, utterly fantastic. Really I think it is the best of all three, and so funny! So funny, and yet so sad! I cannot believe that I was only 7 years old when the first film was at the cinema, and here I am at 22, writing a dissertation.
Well I love it and "paternoster" is definitely a funny name but what I loved most is to see how clean are floors and walls (as it's obvious they are). They don't look like walls and floors at our universities :-((
ReplyDeleteSI! Lo so! Era una sopresa veramente quando ho visto i muri per la prima volta all'università di Torino!
ReplyDeletePater noster are the first two words of the Lord's Prayer in Latin, and apparently the motion and form of the paternoster lift mirrors that of rosary beads. ... well according to Wikipedia anyway!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paternoster