In Italy there is a tradition of walking. Not for any reason in particular, not to get anywhere, or do anything, but simply to enjoy the act of walking and seeing. This has its own verb 'passeggiare', which I suppose can only be related to the English 'to wander'. Yet it seems to be notably different to wandering in that there seems no negative connotation to the action, and though it may not seem to us as a constructive use of time, go outside on any pleasant evening in an Italian city and you will be joined by literally hundreds of people strolling up and down.
It is in this manner which I have spent the past three evenings, sometimes accompanied, sometimes 'a solo' and it has made me realise just how much I will miss Italy when I return to England. Spring has definitely arrived here and has brought with it a powerful sense of optimism and freedom. The shedding of winter coats is like a snakes skin, left behind in the wardrobe without a second thought as you skip outside with a lightness of step enabled by tennis shoes and no socks. It seems to me that I live in a place of infinite opportunity, where you have no idea what might happen from one day to the next. This used to worry me, but now I worry about losing this feeling.
Mostly drinking: Green Tea
Mostly listening: Ryan Adams & Bright Eyes

I love it in countries like Spain, Italy and France how they all seem to 'passeggiare' especially in the early evenings. If only we had a little less rain then maybe us Brits could 'passeggiare' in the same lovely spirits as the Italian's... but then again we are a bunch of lazy fucks!
ReplyDeleteIt is beautiful! There is a bit of a feeling of a catwalk though really sometimes, you are always being watched!
ReplyDeleteAnd the weather has turned really disgusting here in a matter of hours so I don't think many people will be walking about this evening! x
Thank you Rebecca, you are giving an interesting point of view and a... Your personal feeling to "our" way to intend "passeggiare" that definitely goes over its peculiar meaning. I love it and, yes, in my opinion you centered the point --- By the way, at evening, be careful on where you go to wander "a solo" (said by a torinese) ;-)
ReplyDelete:) Grazie! Mi piace molto il tuo 'photos' di Torino!
ReplyDeleteE non ti preoccupare, ho camminato solo nelle posti securi!