Sunday, November 7, 2010

Isabella and the Pot of Basil

Today I am going to talk about a painting which has followed me around for several years.


Isabella and the Pot of Basil - William Holman Hunt (1868)

I was first lucky enough to see this painting at an exhibition at Nottingham Castle quite some years ago, and absolutely and immediately fell in love with it. I diligently bought the accompanying postcard, but remember being considerably disappointed that the colours were a bit washed out in the reproduction. Still it was the beginning of a postcard collection which today stands at more than 300 - most of which cover an entire wall in my bedroom! 

The second time I saw it was in quite different circumstances, as I was watching My Fair Lady at Christmas a few years ago and happened to see it hiding away in the background! You will have to take my word for it though, as I can't seem to find a screenshot anywhere even though I am ever so sure I have seen one recently. Never mind. I am also quite sure I have seen it hanging on the set of the ITV series of Sherlock Holmes from the 1980s, but again I can't find a picture. I think perhaps my style of writing has really be affected by studying at University, as now I feel like I have to provide evidence for everything I say! 

Anyhow, moving swiftly to the present day... Yesterday I found myself in the library yet again, this time reading about the poet John Keats. I took several books off the shelf and what should I find on the front cover of the Cambridge Companion to Keats... but Isabella and the Pot of Basil!


I would include the full poem of Keats' which is said to have inspired William Holman Hunt, but, as with a lot of Romantic poetry, it is a bit to long to include in its entirety  - so I will just provide a link for those who are interested. 


It is a tragic story of two lovers, Isabella and Lorenzo. I've already said tragic, but I won't spoil the ending any further. Suffice to say, it isn't just soil making that basil grow so well....

xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment