Monday, October 18, 2010

Coincidentally...

We all live in a world full of coincidences. Whether we choose to notice them of course, or place any particular meaning or consequence to them is our own choice. It is a common theme in the works of Paul Auster, who I am currently writing my dissertation about, but the coincidences in Auster's fiction are exploited to the point of disbelief.
I might not be living in the postmodern landscape of Austerian imagination but last night, until I spoke to my lovely friend Dainis, I was unaware that one of the largest coincidences to bless my life with its strangeness was underway.

Dainis you see, had quoted Camus to me in a Skype conversation to which I replied,
'Oh Camus, I have been reading him'
And, it turned out, a few minutes later, that we had both been simultaneously reading The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus. Dainis whilst in the bath, myself, slightly more conventionally in my living room. But of all the books he could have bought for €2, of all the books I could have picked from the library that day... We have a connection I think, that doesn't even depend on being in the same time zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment